The Quistococha Zoo is located just outside of the regional township of Iquitos, Peru. The Quistococha Zoo is located on around 900 hectares of secondary rainforest, one of the most biodiverse and complex ecosystems in the world.
Zoo Peru assisted the Quistococha Zoo for 22 years through:
1. funding and building new immersion enclosures for animals in the zoo
currently housed in unsuitable enclosures.
2. employing three zoo keepers. Rusbel, Manolo and Angelo.
3. providing uniforms, equipment and training for zoo keepers
4. volunteering to assist daily duties and special projects – behavioural enrichment
5. sharing knowledge and expertise with local and international keeping and veterinary staff
6. strategic planning with local and regional government representatives to improve the zoo and its facilities